Monday, November 5, 2007

An email to my HS class-morning of the race

Well, here I am, ready at 4:48 AM, all dressed for the City of Oaks
Marathon. The start time is 7 AM ,we're supposed to be there by 6.
The GK volunteers are setting up two tents, and it will be a whole
morning party while they wait for 10 of us to cross the finish line.
There are 3,300 participants, relatively small compared to some of
the big marathons. My race number is 511,and I am hoping to finish
in 5 hours, 30 min.

I'v been training since March, getting my body ready to run 26.2
miles. I have gone through 3 pairs of running shoes, and have
probably run 400 miles in the process. I have gone through all kinds
of injuries- shin splints, knees, foot pain, dead toenails (black and
about to fall off). I have been raising funds/getting home partners
for Gawad Kalinga. My goal now is to raise enough for two houses
($3000). Not quite there yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I am excited, nervous, worried, hopeful, alive. Today, I know i will
push myself beyond my limits. All that SCO training is going to come
handy today, at Mile 20, Mile 21, Mile 22, Mile 23.

I will think of GK, the families I have met, and how my 6 hours of
running is nothing compared to extreme poverty.

I will finish.

Thanks to all of you, my batchmates, who have supported me. It's not
too late to send in pledges :) Thanks to the Toronto folks (and to
Vic) for the support!

And now, I take my 2 Advils....

Delos
Participant, GK Hero's Run

No comments: