Thursday, November 15, 2007

My First Marathon (Part 4)

Miles 23-25

Shortly after we passed the big crowd, Jeff and Eddie went ahead of me again on Edwards Mill Rd, as I had to walk and stretch my cramping legs. This time, I played some more strategic games, like “I will catch up with them at that point up there”, or “I will run when they are taking their walk breaks”. This was the part when I felt most tested. I was alone, and left behind, running my own race. But I never felt that I wouldn’t finish. I’ve read that there comes a time in the marathon when you know you’re going to finish. I just had that point, at Mile 23, when I caught up with them and saw the Filipino group. I knew I was going to finish, but I also didn’t want to be left behind. So I just turned to autopilot, keeping the legs going, muttering words like “glide”, and “strong”. I paid attention to run form, keeping my steps small, running on my midfoot, keeping my turnover high. And then I caught up with them. I was spent, but my mind games worked!

There was one more hill, then a water station. Then came Miles 24 and 25. We probably walked for more than 2 min each time we took a break. And I am sure we didn’t go to 5 min running. We started doing it by distance, “we’ll stop at that light”, etc. I was totally tired. It wasn’t just my legs, but my whole body. But at least I wasn’t swaying, like this one guy we had passed. Still, several people passed us, including a woman who I passed earlier on Ebenezer Church. In some scenarios, with the Galloway method, you are supposed to be strong from mile 23 to the end, and some people report running the last 3 miles. I was just trying to survive the last 3 miles. This was farther than my body had gone before. One more gu, and more water. Finally, we made the turn to the Stadium. We had to go around it then back out to Trinity.

The finish

I think I got a little boost from making that turn. I remember running and actually not stopping at the last water station. I declined the water and gu. My bottles were empty. I felt like I didn’t need them any more. This was it- the last mile! But it was longer than I imagined. We had to walk a few more times. This time, there was no more 5/1 pattern. We just ran when we thought we could, and walked maybe for longer periods. I remember running, then agreeing to stop and walk when we reached a medical station. So when we got there, we all stopped, and the lady shouted “well you can’t walk now!” I almost gave her the finger. I was grateful to her companion, who said “they’re doing the run-walk progam”. She probably saw my face, since she then kept quiet. Not exactly encouraging words when you’re just trying to survive.

Then George came to meet us. He told us about the turn, that we should run before the turn, so that people around the bend won’t see us walking. So that’s what we did. We started running before the turn to Trinity, and there it was- the big giant banner saying FINISH LINE. The road narrowed, as they were funneling us through the timer mat. There were GK cheerers on both sides. My daughter Mia gave me a big Philippine flag to carry, and I gave one end to Jeff. We ran that last few meters together, carrying this big Philippine flag. Later, I realized we were holding the thing backward- oh well. What was funny is that during this final run, I kept feeling the sharp pain in my left leg, but I couldn’t stop. And I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. We crossed the finish in 5:15:35.

I didn’t know they called your name when you cross the finish line. But I heard it- my name- mispronounced, but it was my name. One race organizer tried to give me a medal, but my wife already got my medal, and our 3-year old Mireya was holding it. It was a great feeling, putting the medal on. Everyone was excited, and cheering, and giving us congratulatory pats. We did it. We finished our first marathon.

Epilogue

I forgot to do all the things we should have done. Like keep walking, and eat a high protein bar right after finishing. I felt cold, and got a foil blanket. I was hungry, and we went to the GK tent to get some food- Filipino arroz caldo, and menudo and pansit. I sat down and took off my shoes, as my foot was burning. Later, I had blisters on my small toes that were literally bigger than my toes, and a three-quarter size blister on my right sole.

Looking back now, I was glad the straightaway after the turn was short. If it were longer, I would have had time to reflect and think about what finishing a marathon meant. It was my first marathon, the culmination of 7 months of training. I didn’t have time to think about the poor families that would get new homes. I didn’t have time to think about my friends and family who sent in checks to support my run for GK. It was a good thing I didn’t have time to think – I would have cried. All I remember was crossing the finish, carrying the Philippine flag, stepping decisively on the timer mat, hearing my name called. We did it- we all finished! I was able to raise (including a few more expected checks) almost $3000, enough for two homes for two poor families in the Philippines. Altogether, the GK Hero’s Run Team raised almost $14,000. It was a huge success. But it was also an accomplishment I will remember for the rest of my life. From now on, I can claim something that less than 1% of the population can claim. I have finished a marathon. I am now a marathoner.

No comments: