Monday, October 29, 2007

Breaking in

Ok, so I got the new Asics Gel Kayano 12 last Thursday. I ordered it the previous Sunday, but it took several days to arrive. I finally got to test it last Sunday. Jeff and I ran 7.4 miles at Umstead, our old Graylyn to Reedy Creek and back. The Reedy Creek to Graylyn is the actual 4 miles through Umstead that we will run in the actual marathon, so I thought we should conquer it one more time.

And conquer it we did. We did 10/1 at 10 min/mile pace. We went faster downhill, while conserving energy going uphill. We did the 7.4 miles in 1 hour 19 min. Remember, with Tony, Ed A., and Efren, we were doing this route in 2 hours a few weeks ago. My heart rate went up to 170 bpm, but it averaged 153 bpm. I really need to turn off the beeping sound of my Polar though. Otherwise, it may be beeping the whole time during the marathon!

The shoes were great. It was definitely more cushioning than the old Asics. The wider shoe (2E) was also better for my right foot, but I also felt that the shoes were not as smooth as the narrower model. It felt like I was slapping the ground and losing some kinetic energy. I'll try to tie it tighter the next time.

I figure I need a fe wmore miles on the new shoes. If I feel any problems, I'll go back to the old pair.

No comments: