Sunday, August 5, 2007

Getting to 26.2

I actually started training in May, using the Jeff Galloway method. This is a run0-walk strategy ( I have settled on 5 min of run/1 min walk). The idea is to rest your leg muscles (when you walk, you use different muscles in a different way) so that they don't tire as easily as continuous running. So you get stronger over time, and actually can pick up the pace in the last few miles! Or at least survive...The method works, and thousands have finished marathons because of the Galloway method.


Well, two weeks ago, I was up to 14 miles in my long run- the long run is the weekend run that you try to improve each time, so that around 3 weeks before the marathon date, you have actually run 24 to 26 miles at one time. I was proud to finish 14 miles (in 3 hours), never mind that I could only half-walk after that. My knees hurt, and my calves hurt. A few days later, after running with my gym run club, I had shin splints in my left leg. I guess I have to talk a little about all the little and not-so-little pains I've gone through in a separate post.


Anyway, I decided to stop running for a little bit, until the shin splints went away. I biked in between, but it wasn't enough to raise my heart rate to the target zone. But I was glad to feel that I hadn't lost all of my endurance. Yesterday was the first time I went running again- after a full 10 days of no running. My wife and kids all saw how cranky I became since I couldn't run (well, I also had a writing deadline at work- a book chapter on wastewater treatment). I did just 2.5 miles on the treadmill at the gym, but it felt great! Relatively pain-free. I stopped when I felt a little bit of pain in the calves. But I felt so good when I started, I forgot to do my 1 min walk after 5 min. I was running for 20 min before I remembered! Anyway, I feel like I am back. Now, I just have to ramp up slowly...

No comments: