Sunday, August 5, 2007

The starting line

Well, we're off and running!

I started this blog to serve as my running log as I train for my very first marathon. On Nov. 4, 2007, I hope to be at the starting line of the City of Oaks Marathon (www.cityofoaksmarathon.com). I am training so I can run/walk/crawl 26.2 miles. All the books I've read say only 1% of all people has done this- complete a marathon. Well, I like my odds already :)

I am running to raise awareness and advocate for Gawad Kalinga- a national movement in the Philippines that is transforming the nation. My wife and I became volunteers for GK in 2005, and the ANCOP-GK (Answering the Cry of the Poor) team of volunteers in North Carolina has managed to help raise funds for 2 GK Villages already! (More on this later). I have committed to become a member of the GK Hero's Run Team- committed to raising funds for at least 1 house ($1500). We have about 10 people running for GK in the Raleigh-Durham area in NC. So this blog is to share my thoughts about GK, as well as sharing my thoughts (and pains) during the training.

Glad to have you along for the ride!

No comments: