Saturday, August 11, 2007

Potter and soul

I know this is supposed to be about running and GK, and I know I should be in bed, resting for tomorrow's long run (actually, in 5 hours), but we just got back from watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The book itself is dark, and I personally think it would be challenging to make a great movie out of it. But this movie failed to live up to expectations. I actually think the movie is bad. Badly executed, badly directed. The magic of the first four movies is gone, and I think the problem is that the director never "got" the magic of HP in the first place.

Remember when you first saw quidditch in the first movie? Or Hogwarts? Even the train station? Well, all that magic is gone. We are left with a movie with no storytelling soul. Characters reduced to caricatures, pretty mediocre CGI effects, nothing new to discover in this movie: no emotion, no "wow" moments, not even a cohesive plot. It's all about friendship and love? In the end, the movie showed neither. Sorry, but we have to call it as it is- the worst HP movie ever.

Which brings us back to soul. How do we get it- in a movie, in anything we do? I'm not sure, but I think it's about being part of the journey- breathing it, living it, experiencing it. I just don't think the director experienced HP the way serious fans do. And without that personal experience, there is no magic, there is no soul.

No comments: