Monday, August 13, 2007

Making progress

This morning I skipped my gym run club's run and went solo on the treadmill. I ran 4 miles on 10 min run/1 min walk (5.3 mph/3.3 mph). The calf pain in the left leg went away after 0.5 miles. I ran pretty much pain-free the whole way! the key is really making time for stretching before the run. However, my HR was somewhat higher this morning. The overall average was 151, and I was in my target zome of 120-155 only for 20 min out of the 45 min I was on the treadmill. My HR at "steady-state" running was mostly in the 161 range. I wouldn't have noticed without the HR monitor, though. I felt fine the whole way. Also, my HR went back down to below 138 quickly during the walk breaks. So does this mean I am recovering faster? I wonder if there is any additional stress on the heart with this up-and-down rate going on? Anyway, I am happy with the run, and I feel good- no aches 4 hours after the run. I feel I am making progress.

On the heel up type of running- I tried it and I think I may be getting the hang of it. It may have contributed to the fact I don't have any knee or calf pain. It does force me a little to lean forward (just a little). It helped to have mirror on the side wall- I could watch my form while running.

No comments: